Monday, September 1, 2008

Gridiron Brain Fart - Part II

Varsity Game

During Friday's Varsity game, I moved to Line Judge. I have not worked the wings for quite some time, but soon felt at home.

The game was a one-sided runaway game with the visitors winning 35-6. The visitors scored thirty-five points and I threw flags for holding which called back two touchdown runs. On the second holding call two of the other officials also threw flags and said "number thirty-nine, right?" Yup.

I also threw a flag for a huge facemask. The White Hat also threw a flag for this. It always looks good when there is more than one flag on these fouls.

We did have this awkward moment as a crew. When the home team was driving for their only score they got to the 1/2 foot line. Then they false started. The crowd was deflated. Then, they drive back to to the 1/2 foot line. The tension in the stadium was thick. People were pissed we didn't just give them a TD. On the next play, they run to the opposite hash mark. I have no idea where the ball actually is, but I'm pretty sure they have scored. I'm looking at my partner across the field... what the heck, is it a score or not... dude, you're killing us here. After something like ten seconds he finally rules TD.

The best part for the night, which made up for my brain fart (see previous post), was correcting our association leader. He was working Umpire and walked off a holding penalty. The problem was it was an all-but-one enforcement and he marked it off from the end of the run. This was a six yard distinction. After he had already marched it off and put the ball on the ground, I had remind him the flag was behind the end of the run. And, yes, I am gloating.

Pigskinref Status Report